Thursday, September 9, 2010

Butterfly Mini Unit

Not only is it the time of year for Humming Birds, but it is also the best time to find butterflies, at least in my neck of the woods.  I have watched small yellow butterflies, large yellow butterflies, black butterflies with white dots and large black butterflies with yellow dots flit all over our flower gardens.  There is not a lonely bloom in our yard.  They are nearly impossible to get a photograph of as they never stop moving.  This large one decided that he had had enough and took a break from his routine.



He sat on this banana leaf for almost two hours.



I felt like I was stalking a rare animal in the jungle as I moved in to take the shot from different angles.  Eventually he decided that I was crazy and that he should fly elsewhere to have a peaceful mid morning siesta.


But I just followed him.
And then I came in and did my research.  He is a Giant Swallowtail Butterfly and I found some great sites about butterflies.
These two are great for Pre - K and elementary school.  



If you would like to watch an interesting show by PBS and NOVA about the Monarch Butterfly then watch, “The Incredible Journey of the Butterfly” by clicking on this link.


And lastly, if your labor day fun has you outdoors, catch some butterflies and follow this link to learn how to mount your finds.

Enjoy!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...