Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists by Mike Venezia

A few years ago I stumbled upon a great series - "Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists," that teaches young children about famous artists.  It is done in a light hearted and humorous way so that even children as young as six can come to know Rembrandt or Goya.



As I was writing this review, I found some less than flattering descriptions of these books.  Let me just say that these are not thorough histories of these artists.  You won't see these books used in college humanities classes.  But did we really expect that?  What you will discover is that they do a wonderful job of introducing these famous people and they arouse curiosity about their art.  I give them five stars and I think those who are critical need to rethink the ages the books are targeting.

The images are large and clear.

Note - Aren't those little fingers at the edge of the page, just adorable?  Thanks, to my wee helper!




To keep the interest of the young readers cartoons about the artist and his works are scattered through out the stories.




I was unable to determine exactly how many are in this series but we own Picasso, Botticelli, Michelangelo, Hopper, Cassatt, Rembrandt, and Goya.


After you have read as many as you can borrow from the library the real fun begins...


You can plan a vacation that will take you and your student to see the actual art.  I want to start with a trip to Florence, Italy.  Now I just need to convince Bloodhound!

I highly recommend these and think that they would be a great start to any art program.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...