Tuesday, November 1, 2011

What are we reading?

I always get excited about a book after I have learned what another is reading.  I hope that you feel the same way and that this post will inspire you to dive into a new book or re-explore an old one.


My ten year old is reading Redwall by Brian Jacques.  I just cannot say enough about this author and what he writes.  Everyone of his books, whether it is from his sea adventures or centered around the woodland creatures of Mossflower woods, is captivating and imaginative.  They are full of honor, courage, and wisdom on character in general.  Although, they are written for children they are a joy to read.  If you haven't read one of his many books you really should purchase one.  They would make a great Christmas present.






I am reading...
John Adams by David McCullough, and since I am only putting it in my hands at night when I am completely exhausted I am finding that it is a slow start.  I am sure that it will pick up as McCullough is an excellent author.  I'll post more on this when I finish it.


My daughter is reading...
Great Expectations by Dickens.  The great part about this is that we brought her a kindle and we no longer have to purchase classics such as this one.  This also makes it more difficult for her to lose her books, as they are all contained in this hand held electronic wonder.  But, the best part is that books that are out of copyright are downloaded at no cost.  We just pick a book, click download and she is off to read.  Grandma would have been amazed!


What we are reading out loud, as a family...
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
Let me just say that this book falls into my top favorite books.  I adore this wonderful tale of boyhood and evil that rides into town on a circus train.  Every word in the book is valuable, well placed and ready for interpretation.  I would compare it to ready a story that is written like a poem.  Every word counts in this wonderful tale that reminds us of how evil plays on our weaknesses.


This post is also featured on the website - Life As Mom.  This site is packed full of practical and frugal ideas, recipes, book reviews and much more.  Make sure and check it out.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...