Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Free Online Learning - Elements of a Story

I have located a new free interactive website that teaches the elements of a well written story.  My son really despises slowing his brain down and constructing any kind of writing assignment, and yet, he really enjoyed this site and seemed to benefit from its explanation.


They start by reading the story of Cinderella.


The setting is reviewed and then you are asked to choose the proper setting for Cinderella.

The idea of a character in a story is reviewed and then you learn the difference between the hero and villain, or the protagonist and the antagonist.


I particularly liked how this site requires interaction.  For instance after explaining sequence you are asked to put the story in the proper order.

And although this begins at an elementary level, it advances to these more complicated concepts -  exposition, conflict, climax and resolution.  This is all explained in a way that is easily understood.  I believe that using this online learning tool is a great introduction to writing a story.

And of course you end the learning with a Test Your Skills section.


I really enjoyed reviewing these materials with my son, and I think he benefited from the example.  Click here to give it a try, and please let me know what you think.

This post is shared on this site:


What We’re Learning
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...